One of the great things about WordPress is that you don’t have to be a web developer to add content, such as articles and graphics. But in order to make other changes – or more ambitious design changes – it’s important to follow a few steps just in case something goes awry.
Here is a summary:
- Backup the site; both production and staging.
- Make your changes to the staging site (or testing site that is a duplicate of the production site).
- Test. This can’t be stressed enough. Verify across devices (desktop, tablet and smartphone) and across browsers.
- Once you’ve confirmed the changes are what you want, copy the staging site to production.
The most important take-aways here are:
- Don’t make changes directly to a production website.
- Always make backups in advance.